Forums » Bugs & Problems Search

analysis_url not returned / analysis pending New Reply

Author Post

Hi and thx first of all for a sensational project! But, a few months ago an issue arose, then apparently went away and is now back again - without code changes on my side.

Calling "track/upload" works fine (Status "success" and an Id is returned). Then i call "track/analyze" and get a "pending" result. I've tried with tracks that used to work without problems, but now I can't seem to get past the "pending" state. I understand that it may take a while to analyze the songs, but even subsequent calls (after waiting a few seconds) always end up "pending" What has changed or what am I doing wrong? Any hints would be greatly appreciated! I've seen some really quick and valuable support on this forum, so my expectations are high ;)

P.S. I'd be glad to send you a link, if you want to try the track for yourself, but unfortunately cannot post the URL publicly.

I'm having the same issue. Making API calls manually using this script always returns "pending":

{"response": {"status": {"version": "4.2", "code": 0, "message": "Success"}, "track": {"status": "pending", "title": "La Búsqueda de Ianna (Waltz)", "artist": "Epic Soul Factory", "audio_md5": "c64f584a1e426d098ac905345fab5b8d", "bitrate": 245, "id": "TRZRBDL139D8C125D5", "samplerate": 44100, "md5": "d131183dd9b228f43aa56bf0661a6f9a"}}}

This happens even for songs whose hash I know should correspond to an existing analysis.

It seems that the Echonest Remix API wrappers are not subject to this bug, because this script succeeds.

It looks like it might be related to the deprecation of wait=true 7 days ago (which is about how long I've been having this problem). From my understanding of the announcement and the API, the query for a song should still stop returning "pending" after a short while, though..

Hey Mike and Lgrarron - I think the problem is that you are uploading a track and then analyzing a track. The upload will do the analysis for you automatically. The 'analyze' method is only needed if you wish to re-analyze a previously updated track (you may want to do this if we've updated the analyzer and you want the freshest analysis). What you should do instead is call track/upload to upload and start the analysis. This will return a track ID. Then call the track/profile method with the track ID. This returns (among other things) an analysis 'status'. When the 'status' is 'complete' you should be good to go. -- Paul

Ah. So, I think I understand now that I was using the API incorrectly. By calling track/analyze, which has been changed not to wait, I was guaranteeing that the status is always made pending at the time of the API call. And track/profile doesn't have that issue, because it just queries for the status.

I had been relying on the old behaviour because it was the first thing that finally worked for me, but I know how to fix it now. Thanks.

Thanks Paul for your quick response! I haven't had a chance to implement the changes, but it of course (after re-reading the "wait (Deprecated)" notice in the documentation) makes perfect sense.

Wonderful! Changed "analyze" to "profile" and "post" to "get", wrapped it into a loop and all is well! Thanks again - you have no idea how helpful these functions are!

Reply to this Thread

You must log in to post a reply.