Forums » Bugs & Problems Search

Static Playlist, Rdio Bucket, Eli Young Band Missing? New Reply

Author Post

I thought I had a problem with a static playlist call, since I wasn't getting any tracks from one artist. When I looked into it, though, it looks like no tracks from Eli Young Band show up if I use the rdio-us-streaming bucket.

Using PyEchoNest, for example, the following playlist.static() call returns tracks:

playlist.static(type='artist', artist_id=[artist.Artist('Eli Young Band').id,], results=10)

But this one doesn't:

playlist.static(type='artist', artist_id=[artist.Artist('Eli Young Band').id,], results=10, buckets=['id:rdio-us-streaming'])

If I switch to other artists, I get results from the Rdio bucket. I haven't found any other artists that show no tracks, but it isn't like I have tried ALL artists. When this originally showed up, I was using a Catalog with several artists, and only this artist had no tracks in the resulting playlist.

I know there have been issues with certain bucket sync processes, but this seems weird since even their older albums don't show up. I validated that their albums are still present. Has anyone else experienced whole artists not returning tracks in a playlist call?

Hi Fizzicist - we are in the process of performing a major upgrade on the Rdio catalog. You can start using the new and improved catalog now. It is called 'rdio-US'. Here's an example call:

http://developer.echonest.com/api/v4/playlist/static?api_key=N6E4NIOVYMTHNDM8J&bucket=id:rdio-US&artist=Eli%20Young%20Band&type=artist&limit=true&bucket=tracks

As you can see, with this new catalog there are lots of Eli Young Band tracks.

Have fun!

Paul

That worked! Is the upgraded Rdio catalog better other than in quantity/quality of the data?

Fizzicist - the upgraded catalog will be much more closely sync'd with Rdio, so you won't see the staleness issues that you saw with rdio-us-streaming. -- Paul

That sounds nice.

I'm having trouble getting Rdio foreign IDs today. I'm still putting some tests together, but it seems to happen with the rdio-US and and the rdio-us-streaming buckets. If I can figure out commonality, I'll post about it.

H.B.

fizzicist - we have a couple of different styles of catalogs, and depending upon the style of the catalog, foreign IDs are returned in different places. rdio-us-streaming is what we call a 'song' catalog and so the foreign IDs are returned in a block at the song level, while rdio-US is a 'track' catalog and so the Rdio IDs are returned at the track level. Going forward, most catalogs that we provide will be track catalogs.

Here's an example song returned from the rdio-us-streaming catalog:

http://developer.echonest.com/api/v4/playlist/static?api_key=N6E4NIOVYMTHNDM8J&bucket=id:rdio-us-streaming&artist=weezer&type=artist&limit=true

{
    "foreign_ids": [
          {
            "catalog": "rdio-us-streaming",
            "foreign_id": "rdio-us-streaming:song:t2873170"
          }
     ],
     "artist_id": "AR633SY1187B9AC3B9",
     "id": "SOMZIJM12A6D4FB020",
     "artist_name": "Weezer",
     "title": "Holiday"
  }

Here is the same song returned with the rdio-US catalog (note that we've added the 'track' bucket to get the track info)

http://developer.echonest.com/api/v4/playlist/static?api_key=N6E4NIOVYMTHNDM8J&bucket=id:rdio-US&artist=weezer&type=artist&limit=true&bucket=tracks

{
    "tracks": [
          {
             "foreign_release_id": "rdio-US:release:a227540",
             "catalog": "rdio-US",
             "foreign_id": "rdio-US:track:t2757465",
             "id": "TRBDVNT136E83B0B2C"
          },
        ],
    "artist_id": "AR633SY1187B9AC3B9",
    "id": "SOGFNSC12A8C139301",
    "artist_name": "Weezer",
    "title": "The Angel And The One"

}

Hope this helps

Paul

That helps a lot! I vaguely remember running into that when I was comparing the Spotify and Rdio catalogs. I was mildly interested in why the foreign_id came from different places, but not interested enough to actually find out why. So you not only solved my immediate problem - you also educated me on that difference!

I'm generating a playlist and stuffing it into an Rdio playlist, so I need to get the foreign_id for each song/track, so I'll look at the most efficient way to get that information with a minimal number of API calls.

Thanks much!

H.B.

Reply to this Thread

You must log in to post a reply.