Forums » General Discussion Search

Recommend artists OUTSIDE a personal catalog New Reply

Author Post

Forgive me if I'm overlooking the obvious here, but is it possible to get a list of recommended artists, based on the music in an entire catalog? I want to suggest artists that the user doesn't have in their catalog, similar what Last.fm does. As far as I can tell, the Similar Artists method requires you to give a single artist as the basis for seeding the recommendations. I would like to use the whole catalog as the seed. Is this possible?

The docs for catalogs seem to suggest so: "Personalized recommendation - the contents of a taste profile can be used to represent an individual's taste and given as a seed to artist/similar calls"

Cheers

Peter

You can use the seed_catalog parameter for that.

Yes, but the documentation says that "one of id or name" is required. I want to pass a seed catalog without an artist id or name.

I think he is referring to the 2nd example on this page.

http://developer.echonest.com/raw_tutorials/catalog_api/what.html

However it appears that is not working right now. Even the example link is returning 0 results. Same for a simple test catalog I made with 3 artists. I can use it as a bucket as per the first example, but when using it as a seed_catalog I get 0 results.

Yes, it appears broken. I'm hoping to use this feature as part of my app for the Dev Contest, so I would love to see this fixed soon! Cheers.

hey doppeldoer, jhall, we're taking a look now

Hey doppledoer, jhall-- this has been fixed. Sorry about that.

Reply to this Thread

You must log in to post a reply.